Configure iPhone or iPad for Office365
Your iPhone or iPad can be used to access all of Office 365′s primary services including E-Mail (Exchange), instant messaging (Lync) and collaboration (SharePoint). This article will step through configuring each of thos services.
This article assumes you already have a working Office 365 account and the credentials to login into to it. If you don’t have an Office 365 account, it’s very easy to sign up for trial. See Office 365 Trial.
Setup iPad / iPhone for Exchange Online
In order to configure your iPhone or iPad to work with Office 365 you add a Microsoft Exchange Mail account via the Settings – Mail, Contacts, Calendar entry.
Here are the most basic steps to Configure Office365 on your iPhone/iPad:
- On your iPad/iPhone, under Settings, select “Mail, Contacts, Calendars” Add Account.
- Press “Microsoft Exchange” to add your new account.
- Enter your fully qualified e-mail name (eg. firstname.lastname@example.org) into both the Email and Username fields and your password. Click Next.
- The iPad/iPhone will use Office365’s autodiscover feature to fill in the server box. Click Next.
- You can customize the items that the iPad/iPhone will synchronize. Unless you’re doing something pretty unique, there is no reason not to synchronize them all.
If you’re prompted to create a passcode, press “Continue” and enter a numeric passcode. If you don’t set up a passcode, you can’t use e-mail on your device. You can create a passcode later using Settings > General > Passcode Lock.
At this point you can access Office 365 just like any other e-mail account on your iPhone/iPad. You will have full access to contacts, calendar and e-mail.
Note that the iPhone / iPad will only allow one Microsoft Exchange account to be configured. If you have an existing Exchange account, you will have to remove it before adding the Office 365 account.
Office 365 retains all of your e-mail, contacts, and calendar information in the cloud. This means the iPad/iPhone synchronizes it’s contents with the Office 365 cloud version. This process keeps your phone, desktop PC, and other devices synchronized with all of the same information. It also allows you to access this information from any web browser using Online Outlook.
Setup iPad / iPhone for Lync Online (Office 365)
This one is really pretty easy since there is a Lync App in the App Store. Here are the steps:
- Go to the App Store on your iPad / iPhone and search for Microsoft Lync 2010 for iPhone.
- Tap the Free button, then tap Install. Enter your App Store Apple ID and password. When the app is installed, it appears on your home screen.
- Start the Lync 2010 for iPhone app.
Pretty straight-forward and Microsoft has really done a pretty good job with this application and works very well.
Setup iPad / iPhone for SharePoint Online (Office 365)
There really is no “setup” for SharePoint Online. It is accessed via the web browser built into your iPhone or iPad. So, to access SharePoint Online from your iPad or iPhone the steps are:
- Open your mobile browser.
- Enter your team site address into the browser address bar. The default team site address is in the form http://[YourDomain].sharepoint.com/teamsite/. As an example for the co365lab.com domain, the team site is at http://co365lab.sharepoint.com/teamsite/. If you have a custom domain setup, it could be http://[YourDomain].com/teamsite/ or using our example http://co365lab.com/teamsite/
- On the Microsoft Office 365 sign-in page, sign in with your Office 365 user ID and password.